Soon, we will provide a preview version of the new DRACOON Web App
for public beta testing.
Experience the new DRACOON Web App for the first time and send us your feedback!
Questions About The New Web App
The new DRACOON Web App is the successor to the current DRACOON Web App. It is a completely new product and has been in development for more than a year. The new Web App is expected to replace the current Web App in 2020.
Time has come for a new DRACOON Web App!
Web technologies have evolved dramatically over the last few years, e.g. through continuous innovations in HTML5. Today, web browsers offer technical possibilities unthinkable just a few years ago. Web applications taking advantage of those new web technologies are no longer inferior to classic desktop applications. Modern frameworks such as Angular offer a powerful basis for design and development of enormously powerful and user-friendly web applications, which can be equally used on mobile devices as well as on classic PCs.
Therefore, in 2018, we started creating a new Web App from scratch: a completely new solution without any of the existing limitations, built from the ground up and using the latest web technologies.
- Faster overall performance
- Smoother user experience in general by converting many blocking operations into background processes (e.g. uploads in the background, no more delays when displaying long lists)
- Responsive design (the new Web App can be fully used on mobile devices)
- More clarity, modern appearance, and higher usability (UX), e.g. by following Google's Material Design principles
- Easier expandability with new features through a new architecture with stronger modularity; this should also simplify the testing of newly developed features in the future and ensure the best possible quality of new releases.
Of course, the new Web App will also offer new features that are not yet available in the current Web App.
Examples of new features:
- File comments (to discuss files in a team, for example)
- Profile pictures for users
- Upload of entire folder structures using Drag & Drop
- Upload queue with separate display of completed and failed uploads
- Shared files can be replaced by a new version of the file while preserving the share link.
- When uploading files to encrypted data rooms, it is no longer required to manually create file keys for other users (now happens automatically in the background)
In general, the new Web App will offer all the capabilities of the previous Web App (and of course lots of new ones).
The only existing feature removed from the new Web App is the ability to specify a start data room for a user. Due to the changed rights concept since version 4 of DRACOON, this setting was no longer useful.
In addition, the behavior when sharing files classified as confidential is adapted to that of the other DRACOON clients: In the new Web App, those file will now be shared without a mandatory password protection by default.
Yes, the new Web App will also be customizable through branding. The new Web App uses the new DRACOON Branding, which allows you to change the branding for the Web App yourself. For example, you can customize the company logo, colors, and links to privacy statement or imprint on your own, without having to contact the DRACOON team as with the previous branding.
We recommend a modern browser like Google Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, or Safari for the new Web App.
Internet Explorer 11 is still supported, but we do no longer recommend using it.
Questions About The Beta Test
The beta test is expected to start in mid-August.
The beta test will be public, so anyone interested will be able to participate, even if not yet a DRACOON user.
Access to the beta version of the new DRACOON Web App will depend on the type of DRACOON environment you are currently using:
- If you use the DRACOON Cloud, you will automatically be able to use the beta version of the new Web App in parallel to the existing Web App as soon as we deploy it. This means that you will be able to test-drive the new Web App live on your DRACOON environment under real-world conditions (with your real data). The Internet address where the beta version will be available will be announced at the start of the beta test.
- If you are an On-Premises customer and therefore run DRACOON on your own servers, you will be able to try out the new Web App in a special test environment. This test environment will be provided by us in the DRACOON Cloud and will be completely independent from your own DRACOON environment – as a result, you will not be able to access your existing DRACOON data from the test environment.
Further information about the beta test for on-premises customers will be provided when the beta version is launched.
- If you are not using DRACOON yet, you will also be able to try our test environment in the DRACOON Cloud for free. How to get access to the test environment will be announced at the start of the beta test.
At least the first beta versions of the new Web App will not be available for on-premises environments and will only work in the DRACOON Cloud. This will make it easier for us to apply updates to the beta version and ensure that all beta users are always using the latest version.
Although the beta version of the DRACOON Web App represents a very advanced state of development, not all planned features will be included in the first beta version. All the features that are essential for using the Web App will of course be available. Omitted features will be included in future beta versions.
The beta version will contain a contact form for sending feedback to the DRACOON team. At the start of the beta test, we will inform you about further ways for submitting feedback.
No, you will be able to try out the beta version of the new web app without obligation.
However, we would be pleased if you would give us your valuable feedback on the beta version, such as suggestions, change requests, or bug reports.
This will help us better understand the requirements of our customers. Don't miss this opportunity to directly influence the further development of the new DRACOON Web App!