DRACOON for Outlook version 5.2 or later
You can create and send download shares for files already stored in DRACOON via email. Folders in DRACOON and entire data rooms can also be shared for download (unless they are encrypted data rooms).
Send an item from DRACOON as a download share
- While composing an email, in the ribbon, in the DRACOON group, click Attach. A list of the eight files you edited last appears in DRACOON, followed by a list of the eight files most recently added to your DRACOON favorites.
Tip: If you rest the mouse pointer on an entry, details about the file are displayed in a tooltip.
- If you want to share any of these listed files, click it and go to step 6.
- If the element you want is not listed or you want to share an entire folder or data room, click Attach from DRACOON.
- Select one or more items that you want to share.
You can also search for a file by typing the file name in the Search field.
- Click OK.
- A share link is inserted into your email draft for each selected item.
You can move the link anywhere in the text of your email.
- Send the email. The draft share link in the email message is replaced with the final share link.
The following steps 8-11 apply only to files from encrypted data rooms
- If you share a file from an encrypted data room, the share must be password protected. Enter a share password, or click the dice button to automatically generate a secure password.
- Click the button to the right of the dice button to copy the share password to the clipboard.
- If you create the very first share for an encrypted file, you also have to enter your personal decryption password (that you specified in DRACOON in the Web App):
Note: DRACOON for Outlook remembers your decryption password, so you only need to enter it once (if needed, you can discard it under Settings > User account).
- Pass on the copied share password to the email recipient, otherwise the recipient will not be able to use the share. For example, you can send the share password to the recipient via chat message and paste it into a chat by pressing
V. Alternatively, the password can be transmitted automatically via SMS if this is enabled in your DRACOON.
Option: Ask for password and share settings each time instead of using default
If you share elements from DRACOON, a default password that may have been set in the settings will be automatically activated as well as any default share settings (e.g. an expiration date that applies to all shares). This allows for quick sending of download shares without annoying dialog boxes appearing.
However, if you want to specify a different password and share settings for each share (for example, an expiration date), change the following setting:
- In the Outlook ribbon, in the DRACOON group, click Options, and then click Settings.
- In the left navigation pane, click Download shares, and then select Ask every time.
- Each time you send an email with download shares from DRACOON, a dialog box appears, allowing you to explicitly specify settings for all email shares, which may differ from the default settings.
Advanced share settings
You can specify the following settings for download shares:
- Notification of each download via email: You will receive a notification email every time someone downloads the shared file.
- Maximum x files allowed: Specifies that the file can only be downloaded x times via this share. This restriction applies to the mutual downloads of all users of the share. Once the limit has been reached, no further downloading is possible.
- Expires on: Specifies that the download share is temporary. The date determines the last day on which the share can be used. Then, the share is automatically deleted. If you do not specify an expiration date here, the share remains active until you manually delete it, for example, under My shares.